1. What is meant by a periodic motion?
2. Describe three methods of obtaining a periodic movement.
3. What is the physical difference between musical sounds and noises?
4. How can it be demonstrated, that the air in a sounding flue-pipe is in periodic motion ?
5. Under what circumstances does a periodic motion not give rise to a musical sound ?
6. How can it be proved, that some medium is necessary for the transmission of sound ?
7. Draw a diagram of a water wave, showing clearly what is meant by its length, amplitude, and form.
8. Draw three water waves of same length and amplitude, but of different ibrms; three of same amplitude and form, but of different lengths; and three of same length and form but of different amplitudes.
9. Describe the way in which a vibrating tuning-fork originates a sound wave.
10. In what direction do the air particles in a sound wave vibrate ?
11. What is meant by the length, amplitude, and form of a sound wave?
12. State the connection, in a sound wave, between (1) length of wave and duration of particle vibration, (2) amplitude of wave and extent of particle vibration, (3) form of wave and manner of particle vibration.
13. Describe the way in which a sound wave transmits itself through the air.
14. What is an associated wave ?
16. Describe any method, by which the velocity of sound in air can be determined.
16. How is the velocity of sound in air affected by temperature'?